Аутор тема: English Translation Practice Thread  (Прочитано 23790 пута)

0 корисника и 1 гост прегледају ову тему.

Ван мреже Farenhajt

• Староседелац
  • Поруке: 754
  • Говорим: engleski, delimično francuski i ruski
    • Српски ми је матерњи језик
Одг: English Translation Practice Thread
« Одговор #15 : 7. 06. 2012. у 22.03 »
This one was also missed, I believe:
Цитат
because noone is speaking thoroughly in standard language
I wouldn’t say that thoroughly fits here: instead, I’d use completely or entirely. We can e.g. talk thoroughly about our problem (i.e. in detail, from every aspect), but we hardly speak thoroughly.

You’re right. And since the claim is general, the Present Simple should be used: "Noone speaks standard language completely/entirely/constantly/all the time".

EDIT: Bruni already covered the simple vs. continuous thing. Sorry.

Ван мреже Rancher

• Велики модератор
  • Староседелац
  • Поруке: 1.273
  • Говорим: енглески
  • Родно место: Златиборски округ
« Одговор #16 : 8. 06. 2012. у 00.13 »
"Noone speaks standard language completely/entirely/constantly/all the time".
Am I the only one who finds this extremely awkward i.e. incorrect?

Ван мреже Farenhajt

• Староседелац
« Одговор #17 : 8. 06. 2012. у 00.16 »
It is correct, though some find it visually awkward (because of the double o).

Ван мреже Шоми

• Саркастични згубидан
  • Велики модератор
  • Староседелац
  • Поруке: 3.685
  • People, what a bunch of bastards!
  • Говорим: енглески, немачки
« Одговор #18 : 8. 06. 2012. у 00.47 »
That reminds me of a funny situation in House MD: he doesn’t concur with the diagnosis of his proteges and says "There’s something called ’blued’ in his pleural effusion." Of course, the word is "blood", but he deliberately read it the wrong way, e.g. double "o" as /u/. :D
Wook Karadzhitj, savremenik Jerneja Kompjutera.

Ван мреже Rancher

• Велики модератор
  • Староседелац
  • Поруке: 1.273
  • Говорим: енглески
  • Родно место: Златиборски округ
« Одговор #19 : 8. 06. 2012. у 01.01 »
Exactly. :D

"Noone" is formed for consistency with "nobody", and also its opposites "anyone" and "everyone", but is considered nonstandard by some because of the doubled vowels creating a temptation to read and pronounce it as "noon" (/nuːn/).
« Последња измена: 8. 06. 2012. у 01.05 Rancher »

Ван мреже Farenhajt

• Староседелац
« Одговор #20 : 8. 06. 2012. у 02.21 »
…The rules do exist, exposed in thousands of textbooks of English Grammar etc. …

Not a good word in this context - it would be understood as "shown for what they really are, unmasked". Better to use "expounded" or "set forth".

Ван мреже Farenhajt

• Староседелац
« Одговор #21 : 8. 06. 2012. у 02.23 »
OK, it seems we’ve shredded poor Šomi’s effort into pieces - but for a good cause :)

Now, it will seem I’m really into kissing some serious ass, but I’m NOT! It just happens that Bruni, usually more often than other posters, talks about experiences from everyday life, and such texts are much more suitable for translation exercises than some dry scientific expounding.

So here it is:

Цитат: Bruni
А шта ако нечије дете није немирно? Ма претерују. Као са оном нашом породицом у САД што замало да остану без деце јер су их пустили голе да скакућу по плажи! А ово овде није први пут! Пре неку годину, одузеше мајци старатељство над клинцем зато што му је лупила шамар јер ју је два сата пре тога буквално зајебавао, гађао је папучама и  сл. На крају се сам клинац покајао кад је видео како су због њега и његовог безобразлука мајку му ставили на стуб срама, издали налог да не сме да му се приближи годину дана и да плати неку казну, не знам да ли и у затвор да иде… Да ли ви заиста сматрате да је то НОРМАЛНО?

Deadline: Wednesday night
« Последња измена: 8. 06. 2012. у 02.28 Farenhajt »

Ван мреже Шоми

• Саркастични згубидан
  • Велики модератор
  • Староседелац
« Одговор #22 : 8. 06. 2012. у 02.43 »
To raise my morale a bit: I was told numerous times by different people (since I use spoken and written German far more often and consider myself to be better at it than English), that they hadn’t noticed that the writing’s coming from a non-native speaker, until we spoke on the phone, where they could catch upon my accent.

And to lift it a bit more: it would be nice if someone else joined the exercise, so I could show (off with) my shredding skills.  [devil] Just kidding. :D

Ван мреже Farenhajt

• Староседелац
« Одговор #23 : 8. 06. 2012. у 02.47 »
On a side note: Aren’t there enough German speakers around here to organize this type of thread in German?

Ван мреже Шоми

• Саркастични згубидан
  • Велики модератор
  • Староседелац
« Одговор #24 : 8. 06. 2012. у 03.03 »
Unfortunately, no.

Let’s just summarize my submission with all corrections and suggestions:

Цитат
Standard language isn’t necessarily the language of well-educated, because nobody speaks entirely in standard language, as everyone has characteristic traits in spoken tongue of the region they originate from. (It is, of course, possible to drop many of those traits over time, but there are always some remaining.) Great number of educated people, even those well-educated, still do not speak or write in standard dialect. Do we need to go back for the millionth time to professors of Faculty of Geology who claim that in Serbian "opsidijan" should be written as "obsidijan"? They are highly educated, yet they don’t use standard language, do they? And I don’t see why an educated individual wouldn’t just read some foreign name exactly as it is written. It is certainly less likely they would do that when it comes to well-known languages (German, English, etc.), but, as someone mentioned, what are we going to do with Finnish and other Scandinavian languages? Or Chinese, Japanese, Turkish, or even the more exotic ones, like Nahuatl?

Ван мреже Farenhajt

• Староседелац
« Одговор #25 : 8. 06. 2012. у 03.32 »
One last detail (sorry!) - "there are always some remaining" should be simplified to just "some always remain". The proposed construction with the participle is adjectival in nature and needs to be completed with a noun.

Ван мреже Vukvuk

• Староседелац
  • Поруке: 2.416
« Одговор #26 : 8. 06. 2012. у 03.34 »
Цитат
Standard language isn’t necessarily the language of well-educated * I think you either have to say the well-educated, or well-educated people, but wait for someone a little better suited than me to confirm (or disprove) this (and other corrections as well) *, because nobody speaks entirely in standard language, as everyone has characteristic traits in * I’d put one their here * spoken tongue * I’d still say language; I suspect tongue sounds rather poetic * of the region they originate from * possibly a better wording would be: everyone has in their spoken language / speech some traits characteristic of the region they originate from *. (It is, of course, possible to drop many of those traits over time, but there are always some remaining.) * A * Great number of educated people, even those well-educated, still do not speak or write in standard dialect * I’d, once again, use language here; dialect is correct, but it’s too technical for this context *. Do we need to go back for the millionth time to * the? * professors of * the * Faculty of Geology who claim that in Serbian "opsidijan" should be written as "obsidijan"? They are highly educated, yet they don’t use standard language, do they? And I don’t see why an educated individual wouldn’t just read some foreign name exactly as  it is written. It is certainly less likely they would do that when it comes to well-known languages (German, English, etc.), but, as someone * has? * mentioned, what are we going to do with Finnish and other Scandinavian languages? Or Chinese, Japanese, Turkish, or even the more exotic ones, like Nahuatl?
« Последња измена: 8. 06. 2012. у 03.46 vukvuk »

Ван мреже Бруни

• Девојчица!!!
  • Администратор
  • Староседелац
  • Поруке: 9.857
  • Сајбер зевзек…
  • Говорим: шпански, енглески
  • Родно место: Београд
    • Српски језички атеље
« Одговор #27 : 8. 06. 2012. у 18.01 »
Цитат
because nobody speaks entirely in standard language
And why not exactly as I said? Nobody speaks/uses a 100% standard language…

Vukvuk is right: A great number of.. I also think these "the" are ok.  "has" too. As someone has (already) mentioned…

…The rules do exist, exposed in thousands of textbooks of English Grammar etc. …

Not a good word in this context - it would be understood as "shown for what they really are, unmasked". Better to use "expounded" or "set forth".
Shown. :P But I am not so sure this is a mistake. Here:
a. To subject or allow to be subjected to an action, influence, or condition: exposed themselves to disease; exposed their children to classical music.

or…

to display for viewing; exhibit

Izložiti.

Don’t ask me why I am a vegan, ask yourself why you’re not.

Ван мреже Vukvuk

• Староседелац
  • Поруке: 2.416
« Одговор #28 : 8. 06. 2012. у 18.17 »

Or rather: …because NOBODY speaks (this) standard language at 100%… (I’m not sure about this at 100% though).

Ван мреже Бруни

• Девојчица!!!
  • Администратор
  • Староседелац
  • Поруке: 9.857
  • Сајбер зевзек…
  • Говорим: шпански, енглески
  • Родно место: Београд
    • Српски језички атеље
« Одговор #29 : 8. 06. 2012. у 18.23 »

Or rather: …because NOBODY speaks (this) standard language at 100%… (I’m not sure about this at 100% though).
It seems ok.
Don’t ask me why I am a vegan, ask yourself why you’re not.

Тагови: