Аутор тема: English Translation Practice Thread  (Прочитано 23806 пута)

0 корисника и 1 гост прегледају ову тему.

Ван мреже Duja

• Администратор
  • Староседелац
  • Поруке: 2.851
Одг: English Translation Practice Thread
« Одговор #30 : 8. 06. 2012. у 19.14 »
Now, it will seem I’m really into kissing some serious ass, but I’m NOT! It just happens that Bruni, usually more often than other posters, talks about experiences from everyday life, and such texts are much more suitable for translation exercises than some dry scientific expounding.

Damn, I was ready to take my share of public shame, typed in the whole translation, and then hit the wrong button. This @#$!$!% laptop has the "back" button right next to arrow buttons, and the edit box contents are not cached :(( Sorry folks, I don’t have the nerve to do it again.

Ван мреже Бруни

• Девојчица!!!
  • Администратор
  • Староседелац
  • Поруке: 9.857
  • Сајбер зевзек…
  • Говорим: шпански, енглески
  • Родно место: Београд
    • Српски ми је матерњи језик
    • Српски језички атеље
« Одговор #31 : 8. 06. 2012. у 19.38 »
Hm, F. just a little question. What’s the point to send you the translation first, if you don’t do anything with it, except you post it here?

and the edit box contents are not cached
In Wikipedia they are… :P
Don’t ask me why I am a vegan, ask yourself why you’re not.

Ван мреже Farenhajt

• Староседелац
  • Поруке: 754
  • Говорим: engleski, delimično francuski i ruski
« Одговор #32 : 8. 06. 2012. у 19.51 »
Цитат
because nobody speaks entirely in standard language
And why not exactly as I said? Nobody speaks/uses a 100% standard language…

Vukvuk is right: A great number of.. I also think these "the" are ok.  "has" too. As someone has (already) mentioned…

…The rules do exist, exposed in thousands of textbooks of English Grammar etc. …

Not a good word in this context - it would be understood as "shown for what they really are, unmasked". Better to use "expounded" or "set forth".
Shown. :P But I am not so sure this is a mistake. Here:
a. To subject or allow to be subjected to an action, influence, or condition: exposed themselves to disease; exposed their children to classical music.

or…

to display for viewing; exhibit

Izložiti.

Yes, it does mean "izložiti eksponat", but it doesn’t mean "izložiti materiju, gradivo i sl.". One of the verbs suitable for the latter sense is "to expound = to explain by setting forth in careful and often elaborate detail".

As for your other question, what would be e.g. your motivation to translate the exercise text if someone posts their solution publicly? The point of submitting the translations privately is to post them all at the same time, so that they wouldn’t influence each other.
« Последња измена: 8. 06. 2012. у 19.59 Farenhajt »

Ван мреже Бруни

• Девојчица!!!
  • Администратор
  • Староседелац
  • Сајбер зевзек…
    • Српски језички атеље
« Одговор #33 : 8. 06. 2012. у 20.05 »
Ah, so there were more translations, not only Shomi?

Teorija is the same as gradivo, materija, isn’t it?

Expose the theory
20.800 hits
« Последња измена: 8. 06. 2012. у 20.09 Бруни »

Ван мреже Farenhajt

• Староседелац
« Одговор #34 : 8. 06. 2012. у 20.20 »
Yes, there were 163 translations, but I decided not to put them up.  :-/ I can’t really comprehend what is so difficult to understand about the concept. You translate the text for yourself and you don’t get to see anyone else’s translation before the deadline.

The very first of those hits:

"They criticized certain aspects and hypotheses but were unable to expose the theory’s unscholarly character." - expose = unmask

Another one:

"the principle that a scientific theory must make predictions that are specific enough to expose the theory to the possibility of disconfirmation." - expose = izvrgnuti

Never mind, I won’t be drawn into an argument. One word is superior to another as its meaning is more precise and better suited to the context in question, but you’re absolutely free to disregard that if you want.
« Последња измена: 8. 06. 2012. у 20.26 Farenhajt »

Ван мреже Шоми

• Саркастични згубидан
  • Велики модератор
  • Староседелац
  • Поруке: 3.685
  • People, what a bunch of bastards!
  • Говорим: енглески, немачки
« Одговор #35 : 8. 06. 2012. у 20.24 »
Oh, come on, Duja, write it again, this one is not that difficult. I already completed mine. I suggest we move the deadline to tomorrow or the day after tomorrow.

No, there weren’t any other translations, Bruni, but we didn’t know that before Farenhajt posted it. I taught there were more submissions, at least three. :)
Wook Karadzhitj, savremenik Jerneja Kompjutera.

Ван мреже Rancher

• Велики модератор
  • Староседелац
  • Поруке: 1.273
  • Говорим: енглески
  • Родно место: Златиборски округ
Одг: Одг: English Translation Practice Thread
« Одговор #36 : 8. 06. 2012. у 20.25 »
Damn, I was ready to take my share of public shame, typed in the whole translation, and then hit the wrong button. This @#$!$!% laptop has the "back" button right next to arrow buttons, and the edit box contents are not cached :(( Sorry folks, I don’t have the nerve to do it again.
The same thing happened to me a few times, so I became more careful with it. Now I always use Ctrl-A and Ctrl-C to copy my writing, just in case. :)

Ван мреже Бруни

• Девојчица!!!
  • Администратор
  • Староседелац
  • Сајбер зевзек…
    • Српски језички атеље
« Одговор #37 : 8. 06. 2012. у 20.40 »
I am not questioning your decision, I just ask, so put your gun down sweetie, ’cause you are barking on a wrong tree [fsmile] . Women are curious by their nature, FYI. and I simply can’t help it.  :hehe:

OK. I agree with Shomi. Let’s move the deadline for tomorrow. I would suggest that candidates check carefully their translations for mistakes before the submission.
« Последња измена: 8. 06. 2012. у 20.44 Бруни »

Ван мреже Шоми

• Саркастични згубидан
  • Велики модератор
  • Староседелац
« Одговор #38 : 8. 06. 2012. у 20.47 »
The same thing happened to me a few times, so I became more careful with it. Now I always use Ctrl-A and Ctrl-C to copy my writing, just in case. :)

Which doesn’t work in case of a power surge or a nosy household member, anyhow. :D You should save your writing every once in a while. I learned my lesson fairly early: In highschool I was writing some paper the whole goddamn day and went outside just a couple of minutes for a breath of fresh air. During that time my brother managed to close the program (it never occurred to me to hit "Save" the whole time), and I went ballistic. Several hours of toiling away went down the crapper, so I had to do it all over. Now I franticly hit Ctrl + S several times every ten seconds (maybe I even spend more time saving the work than doing it). :D

But I do actually think the typed text here on board is cached, because sometimes my session expires while I’m typing, so when I’m finished and ready to post, I click on "Send" and get the message I cannot post, since I’m logged out. I just log back in, hit the "Back" button, and the text appears in the box. I’m using Opera, so maybe it has something to do with the web browser.
« Последња измена: 8. 06. 2012. у 21.02 Шоми »

Ван мреже Бруни

• Девојчица!!!
  • Администратор
  • Староседелац
  • Сајбер зевзек…
    • Српски језички атеље
« Одговор #39 : 8. 06. 2012. у 20.50 »
The very first of those hits:

"They criticized certain aspects and hypotheses but were unable to expose the theory’s unscholarly character." - expose = unmask

Another one:

"the principle that a scientific theory must make predictions that are specific enough to expose the theory to the possibility of disconfirmation." - expose = izvrgnuti

Never mind, I won’t be drawn into an argument. One word is superior to another as its meaning is more precise and better suited to the context in question, but you’re absolutely free to disregard that if you want.
What about "expose the point of view"? 4.510 resultados
Or, expose the opinion?
Or, expose the lecture?
Or, expose the achievements?

Ван мреже Farenhajt

• Староседелац
« Одговор #40 : 8. 06. 2012. у 21.13 »
No matter what kind of amount of Google "evidence" you present here, that won’t change the fact that the sentence "the rules are expounded in many books" is better than "the rules are exposed in many books" - it is much more "real English", as opposed to "English by Wolf". Instead of feverish googling around for more and more constructions with "expose" - and counting them as if sheer frequencies are conclusive to anything - I recommend using any of many excellent English dictionaries available on the Net.

Sorry if you feel personal about this, because it’s not meant to be (although I imagine it CAN have such an impact). A comparable situation in Serbian would be, say, your sticking with "pravila su rečena u mnogim knjigama" (which in itself isn’t incorrect, but it IS markedly unsatisfactory) and me recommending "pravila su izneta u mnogim knjigama".

If you wish to proceed with this argument, I would like to direct you to PM’s so that we could go on with the thread.

Аутомодерисано.
« Последња измена: 8. 06. 2012. у 22.10 Бруни »

Ван мреже Farenhajt

• Староседелац
« Одговор #41 : 8. 06. 2012. у 21.23 »
As for the deadline, I would REALLY like to give Duja a chance to find in himself a motivation for doing all the work again. Hence, let him sleep over it, and the deadline can be moved to… Sunday evening?

Ван мреже Duja

• Администратор
  • Староседелац
  • Поруке: 2.851
« Одговор #42 : 8. 06. 2012. у 22.02 »
Nah, sorry. I’m in Canada at the moment, and I’m going back home tomorrow, then to a vacation  [plaja]. I probably won’t be around for the next ten days.

Ван мреже Шоми

• Саркастични згубидан
  • Велики модератор
  • Староседелац
« Одговор #43 : 8. 06. 2012. у 22.06 »
Give it to a native speaker, he could traslate it for you. :P

Ван мреже Farenhajt

• Староседелац
« Одговор #44 : 8. 06. 2012. у 22.07 »
Or run it through Google Translator, just as good  ;)

Тагови: