Аутор тема: English Translation Practice Thread  (Прочитано 23786 пута)

0 корисника и 1 гост прегледају ову тему.

Ван мреже Rancher

• Велики модератор
  • Староседелац
  • Поруке: 1.273
  • Говорим: енглески
  • Родно место: Златиборски округ
    • Српски ми је матерњи језик
Одг: English Translation Practice Thread
« Одговор #45 : 8. 06. 2012. у 22.10 »
Google translate. :P :D

Ван мреже Бруни

• Девојчица!!!
  • Администратор
  • Староседелац
  • Поруке: 9.857
  • Сајбер зевзек…
  • Говорим: шпански, енглески
  • Родно место: Београд
    • Српски језички атеље
Одг: English Translation Practice Thread
« Одговор #46 : 8. 06. 2012. у 22.13 »
No matter what kind of amount of Google "evidence" you present here, that won’t change the fact that the sentence "the rules are expounded in many books" is better than "the rules are exposed in many books" - it is much more "real English", as opposed to "English by Wolf". Instead of feverish googling around for more and more constructions with "expose" - and counting them as if sheer frequencies are conclusive to anything - I recommend using any of many excellent English dictionaries available on the Net.

Sorry if you feel personal about this, because it’s not meant to be (although I imagine it CAN have such an impact). A comparable situation in Serbian would be, say, your sticking with "pravila su rečena u mnogim knjigama" (which in itself isn’t incorrect, but it IS markedly unsatisfactory) and me recommending "pravila su izneta u mnogim knjigama".

If you wish to proceed with this argument, I would like to direct you to PM’s so that we could go on with the thread.

Аутомодерисано.

No, not at all, don’r worry. I don’t think we can say much more about this issue, so, let it be. ;)
« Последња измена: 8. 06. 2012. у 22.17 Бруни »
Don’t ask me why I am a vegan, ask yourself why you’re not.

Ван мреже Шоми

• Саркастични згубидан
  • Велики модератор
  • Староседелац
  • Поруке: 3.685
  • People, what a bunch of bastards!
  • Говорим: енглески, немачки
Одг.: English Translation Practice Thread
« Одговор #47 : 11. 06. 2012. у 19.58 »
Shouldn’t we discuss new translation exercise? The deadline was yesterday night.
Wook Karadzhitj, savremenik Jerneja Kompjutera.

Ван мреже Farenhajt

• Староседелац
  • Поруке: 754
  • Говорим: engleski, delimično francuski i ruski
« Одговор #48 : 11. 06. 2012. у 20.55 »
Oops, my bad. I have been distracted all day and then I’ve just forgotten about it. Sorry :( Discussion time extended - I’ll post the next assignment on Wednesday.

It seems that only Šomi is interested in this thread, since he’s the only one (yet again) who submitted a translation. Or maybe he’s the only one who has guts to let his work be scrutinized?

Anyway, here it is:

Цитат: Šomi
What if a child isn’t a rascal? They’re pushing it too far. Same thing happened with a Serbian family back in the US, where they almost lost their children, because they let them play around naked on the beach! And this is not the first time here! A couple of years ago, a custody of a child was taken from his mother, simply because she slapped him, as he literally teased her two hours before that, throwing slippers at her and so on. At the end, the kid was kicking himself when he saw how his mother was put up on a wall of shame, was issued a court order forbidding her to see him for a year, and was fined, maybe even prison time was at stake, all because of his insolence. Do you really feel that’s normal?

Discuss.

Ван мреже Vukvuk

• Староседелац
  • Поруке: 2.416
« Одговор #49 : 12. 06. 2012. у 00.22 »
Цитат: Šomi
What if a child isn’t a rascal * rascal may be too strong a word, I’d say mischievous or maybe unruly *? They’re pushing it too far. The Same thing happened with a Serbian family back in the US, where they almost lost their children, because they * had? * let them play around naked on the beach! And this is not the first time here * this thing here is not happening for the first time *! A couple of years ago, a custody of a child was taken from his mother, simply because she * had? * slapped him, as * because * he literally teased her two hours before that * he’d been fucking around with her for two hours before that *, throwing slippers at her and so on. At * In? * the end, the kid was kicking himself * or simply the kid himself regretted (what he did) * when he saw how his mother was put up on a wall of shame, was issued a court order forbidding her to see him for a year, and was fined, maybe even prison time was at stake, all because of * him and * his insolence. Do you really feel that’s normal?

Ja bih ovako. [pardon]
« Последња измена: 12. 06. 2012. у 00.25 vukvuk »

Ван мреже Шоми

• Саркастични згубидан
  • Велики модератор
  • Староседелац
  • Поруке: 3.685
  • People, what a bunch of bastards!
  • Говорим: енглески, немачки
« Одговор #50 : 12. 06. 2012. у 00.58 »
Regreted! That word never crossed my mind, no matter how hard I tried to think of it. And others, too. I try not to use dictionaries when I translate, and sometimes there’s just a blank in my mind, although I know the word, or rather quite a few words for one thing.

As for the rest, you could be right. Let’s see what others say. (I never taught I was this bad at English grammar. [ccc])

The same thing, yes, without an article is colloquial. In the end I believe is also correct. This one too: this thing here is not happening for the first time.

Crap, I ought to use a dictionary now and then… And learn grammar properly.
Wook Karadzhitj, savremenik Jerneja Kompjutera.

Ван мреже Vukvuk

• Староседелац
  • Поруке: 2.416
« Одговор #51 : 12. 06. 2012. у 01.15 »
Well, I only can see you have a bit of a problem with using articles, and maybe present and past perfect, which is completely understandable, because there are no such grammatical categories in Serbian. As for vocabulary, we know from the other thread you scored very well on that vocabulary test, so I wouldn’t be worried if I were you. ;)
« Последња измена: 12. 06. 2012. у 01.19 vukvuk »

Ван мреже Бруни

• Девојчица!!!
  • Администратор
  • Староседелац
  • Поруке: 9.857
  • Сајбер зевзек…
  • Говорим: шпански, енглески
  • Родно место: Београд
    • Српски језички атеље
« Одговор #52 : 12. 06. 2012. у 10.31 »
Just a quick note:

Цитат
At * In? * the end

At the end —  real end of something in space —  At the end of the road.
In the end —  en in time, end of story, event, etc. —  In the end, they decided not to go.

PS: I just wanted to say that this is not only the exercise for those who translate, but also fot those who correct the texts. Bravo, Farenhajt, this was really good idea!  [pljes]
Don’t ask me why I am a vegan, ask yourself why you’re not.

Ван мреже Farenhajt

• Староседелац
« Одговор #53 : 12. 06. 2012. у 11.48 »
I’d pay attention to another aspect of the text, which is its (slight) colloquial style, which in my opinion must be retained in the translation.

The first sentence is "A šta ako nečije dete nije nemirno?" and not "Šta ako nečije dete nije nemirno?" - so it would be adequate to keep it: "And/but what if a child doesn’t misbehave?"

Then we have an expletive "ma" in the next sentence. Tricky one to translate directly, but there are means to do it. "It’s just too much, let me tell you" or "Whatever, they’re just pushing it" or "Boy, are they pushing it or what".

Also in the third sentence Bruni doesn’t explain there was some Serbian family in the US, she rather takes for granted the reader knows about it and will remember the case. Hence the translation: "Just like that Serbian family in the US…"

Also, "a couple of [something]" is a tricky expression, because, in spite of the official dictionary definitions, there is a GREAT number of English speakers who understand "couple of something" as, indeed, two or very close to two. (say, "a couple of years" = 22 to 26 months.) To avoid any possible confusion, it is recommended to translate Serbian "par godina" or "nekoliko godina" as "some years" or "a few years".

A sequence of tenses thing: I’d simplify things by saying "…when he saw his mother being put up on the wall of shame, with a restraining order for one year and a fine, I guess, maybe even some prison time…"
« Последња измена: 12. 06. 2012. у 12.32 Farenhajt »

Ван мреже Farenhajt

• Староседелац
« Одговор #54 : 13. 06. 2012. у 21.55 »
OK, the next assignment is a bit special. Instead of taking a post from this board, I chose an excerpt of a story in Politika daily. Besides, it is a bit longer than usual since there’s a full week to the next Wednesday.

Цитат
Ако не желе да смене једног човека, а 25 људи не жели да ради са њим, онда ће вероватно уследити велики лом. Да ли је то наше отпуштање, или је то распуштање Атељеа 212 оваквог какав јесте сада? Ако вам 25 људи каже да не могу да сарађују са Младеновићем, а он и даље хоће да буде управник, питамо се зашто? У чије име и у име чега остаје?

Ова питања поставили су глумци Атељеа 212 на бурној, изузетно посећеној конференцији за новинаре у овој позоришној. Своје захтеве глумци су образложили  у 12 тачака. Њих је, како смо обавештени, већином гласова прихватио Управни одбор куће, а писмо је упућено Скупштини града Београда, оснивачу овог позоришта.

О томе зашто глумци траже смену Младеновића, у писму је наведено:

„Зато што се управник, већ на првом састанку са нама, поставио као да је директор фабрике под стечајем. Атеље 212 није фабрика, нити је био под стечајем. Упозорио нас је да морамо учествовати у свему што нам буде понуђено иначе следе казне и врло брзо отказ. Зато што је од самог почетка потпуно игнорисао глумце Атељеа 212, доводећи са стране глумце, не уважавајући могућности сопственог ансамбла. Тако су у последњој сезони рађене две представе без иједног запосленог глумца, а у четири премијере на великој сцени игра само пет глумаца из ансамбла. Зато што нас је оптужио да смо оштетили кућу за велики новац. Те лажне и произвољне податке ставио је на нашу огласну таблу, слао их градоначелнику и тако, у покушају да нас застраши, укаљао част нас, глумаца Атељеа 212… ”, наводи се у писму које је читала Горица Поповић.

Till Wednesday.

Тагови: